Thursday, June 14, 2007

They're Moving in an Easterly Direction

There'll be no posts for quite a while as we'll be crossing the whole darn North American continent by car starting tomorrow (hopefully). Adventure! On the way from California to Maine, we'll be listening to the Aubrey/Maturin books by Patrick O'Brian (Blak Buzzard was kind enough to provide us with most of the audiobooks in the series) and possibly a children's fantasy titled Fly by Night that I copied from the library. I've also got the 6th Harry Potter book in case we decide to read it out loud to each other in anticipation of the final release this summer--I'll be at Mugglefest in Portland in July!

Right now I'm reading two books of stories: Magic for Beginners by Kelly Link and The Faun and the Woodcutter's Daughter by B.L. Picard. The first is more gothic fantasy in bizarro land from Kelly Link. Some of the stories have been very good, others fair. The book by Picard is a classic book of children's fairy tales. It's a wonderful, musty old library volume that Jackamo sent me (it was her favorite book when she was about 12, I think), but it's out of print, so I'm very lucky to have it. It's fun switching back and forth between the polar opposites of fairy literature. Or, sorry, Faerie literature. Or perhaps Faery. You know what I mean. Geez, those faeries are going to be mad. I'd better watch my back when we're driving through the wilderness.

No comments: