Friday, May 18, 2007

Tragic Demise

"Veronica Mars" has been canceled.

I honestly don't know why I bother committing to good TV shows, because inevitably they'll be canceled (see "Firefly," "Arrested Development," "Freaks & Geeks"). V Mars had a great 1st season, a decent 2nd one, and a 3rd season with some weak spots, but it was still unique and creative, it was artfully shot, it had smart, funny dialogue, and it was far superior to most things on TV, certainly everything that's ever been on the shameless UPN/CW network. I'd like to blame the network, but in this case the truth appears to be that V Mars (in addition to the pitiless cancellations of the excellent shows listed above) although receiving critical praise, wasn't getting high enough ratings (provided the current method of accumulating ratings is accurate, of which I'm skeptical), so it wasn't a money maker.

I'd like to think that most people have some sense (both common sense and artistic sense). But I'm wrong. Maybe I'm bewildered because I spend all my time with professors and other bookworms. I think I am, because yesterday when I was volunteering as an extra in a small film, I overheard several of the dumbest conversations imaginable. I won't bore you with the details. Just trust me, these two women made Jessica Simpson sound articulate. They also eyed the book I was reading (an E.M. Forester collection) as though it were a contagious disease.

Apparently the vast majority of you want to watch the "Search for the Next Pussycat Doll" and other reality/game-show/sitcom dreck more than you do a well-written, clever story about a girl detective. I've watched my fair share of garbage, but I've made an effort to change that and actively seek entertainment that is thought-provoking or has some aesthetic value. I can't complete with America. I can't force you to watch decent movies instead of garbage like Wild Hogs or Delta Farce. I am cursed, CURSED I SAY!!!, by the mediocrity of the masses. And if you are out there watching the Pussycat Dolls or frickin' "Deal or No Deal" right now, you are a mass, and you are making my life miserable.

All I can say is, thank goodness for Netflix. And "The Office." And "30 Rock." And "BSG." Someone out there has a brain. I will not yet throw my TV set into the road in fury. And thank goodness Waitress and The Valet have finally been given a wider release. I'll go stifle my Veronica sorrows in a movie theater this weekend.

3 comments:

hayumbone said...

Oh, I can't agree with you on VM at all. I was so upset with the direction third season took that I stopped watching when the mid-season hiatus ended. Frankly, I am sorry I saw any of this year's episodes. It's true that the show started out very strongly overall, but Thomas has more than demonstrated that he is yet another male writer/creator of a strong female character who should have had her taken out of his hands a long, long time ago. Not only did he not know what he was doing with her -- and if he thought he did, he should be ashamed of himself -- but he didn't deserve her. (Not to mention that the secondary characters who made the show so clever and interesting got short-shrift as well.)

I won't consume comment space with my angry rationale, but I have plenty of it.

hayumbone said...

B.: That "angry rationale" to which I referred in my first comment is not directed at you; its target is Mr. Thomas.

You probably knew that already, but I want to be clear.

Watoosa said...

Hambone, I agree with you in particular about the secondary characters in this season--I miss the old Logan and the old Weevil. I think part of why this season is so weak can be blamed on the network backing out on some of the episodes they had ordered and insisting that the final four be self-contained. And yet, there's still so much to like. See this post for one reason why I'm still a fan:
http://slowlygoingbald.com/2007/05/veronica_mars_breaking_your_he.html

I wish VM had the chance to at least try for another season with V in the FBI, just to breathe new life into the show. I know it can ever be as good as it was in the first season, but I'll watch it for as long as it's on (i.e., one more hour!).