Monday, January 7, 2008

Jane Austen News

Check out Ickie's post on the Masterpiece Theatre airings of all Austen's novels (alas, Lady Susan is not included). They're showing an older version of Emma starring Kate Beckinsale of which I'm not a huge fan, but I'm looking forward to hopefully accurate adaptations of Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey (which could be pretty funny). I do think it's hard to improve upon the Emma Thompson/Ang Lee version of Sense and Sensibility (even if Hugh Grant looked wretchedly uncomfortable in his cravat). I also quite liked the 1995 version of Persuasion starring Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds, so I'm not sure I understand why they're redoing it, but I'll give it a go. Although I think Olivia Williams is too pretty to play Jane, I'm fond of her mannerisms and look forward to giving the autobiography a chance.

It goes without saying that this is welcome entertainment during the writer's strike.

No comments: