Monday, April 23, 2007

Audiobook Recommendations

Ickie and I are plotting our journey northeast. We'll be spending six days on the road, driving an average of nine hours per day. We'll be accompanied by a grouchy feline. I'll probably get photo sensitive in the Arizona desert sun, and Ickie will certainly fall into a comatose stupor every day around 2pm. We'll probably be pretty sick of junk food and cheap hotels by the end of the week.

In anticipation, we've devised a scheme of filling our car full of audiobooks to stave off boredom and irritation. We want stories that capture our attention (spy novels?) without being too cerebral. We want some LONG ones so that we will have plenty to keep our ears busy. We hope for decent narrators. Will you please post your recommendations of audio books in the comments section? And if you own a spare copy you'd be willing to lend us during the month of June, even better!

10 comments:

Ickenham said...

I just remembered Blakbuzzrd mentioning that he listened to Patrick O'Brien audio books. That might be a good choice. Hornblower would work, too.

Unknown said...

Moby Dick read by Burt Reynolds. A true classic.

Available here: http://www.amazon.com/Moby-Dick-Herman-Melville/dp/1590070224/ref=sr_1_10/103-7956485-1566226?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177378391&sr=8-10

Ickenham said...

Kevin,

I. Must. Have. It!

Unknown said...

Ick,

I doubt blame you for being such that you must have it. Unfortunately, the copy that I listened to was from the public library in StL. I thought about stealing it, but I figured that others in the Loo deserved to have access to this good.

Ickenham said...

The Loo? You mean, the toilet?

Unknown said...

Didn't you ever listen to Nelly? The 'Loo' is slang for StL. Geesh. And you call yourself edumacated.

(Ok, say maybe it's 'Lou'?)

Watoosa said...

Alright, I'm putting my foot down. My request for recommendations was not intended to degenerate into a Nelly-inspired slang fest. (I hate Nelly.)

Unknown said...

Do you hate Burn Reynolds too?

Or maybe you hate Melville?

Watoosa said...

Well, I'm certainly not a fan of Burt Reynolds, and I really don't like any early American fiction except Poe, although Melville is less annoying than Thoreau or Whitman. Blech.

Patrick said...

How about The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide. I'm pretty sure you can find it in audio book form. Also, if you are looking for an interesting story, try here "http://www.theafternow.com/listen.php". Stick with the afternow series (one and two). Sean is a pretty good story teller. Though I do admit that his stories can be a bit... graphic. All I'll say is that the whole affair is set in a dystopian future.